Where to attend Phlebotomy Classes Gainesville FL
Phlebotomy classes in Gainesville FL can be attended at either:
1. Santa Fe College
2. Express Training Medical Services
3. Agape Medical Training Center
1. Santa Fe College
Phlebotomy classes in Gainesville Florida are offered at Santa Fe College in Gainesville.
Santa Fe College in Gainesville is located at:
3000 NW 83 St
Gainesville, FL 32606
Telephone (352) 395-5000
Complete the Form Below To Receive Information About Phlebotomy Classes at Santa Fe College
This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and/or careers in the health sciences field. Students gain technical skill proficiency through competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher- order reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
The goal of the Phlebotomy Program is to train professional phlebotomists proficient in communication, leadership, human relations, and employability skills. Additionally, students learn safe and efficient work practices through a combination of theory and laboratory activities. The practical activities provide the necessary cognitive and manipulative skills needed to obtain adequate and correct blood specimens by capillary or venipuncture on adults, children and neonates while maintaining the integrity of the specimen in relation to the test to be performed. These goals are accomplished in compliance with the curriculum frameworks as governed by the State of Florida Department of Education.
In addition to obtaining blood specimens, phlebotomists must have a clear understanding of medical terminology to label, sort and record specimens delivered to the laboratory. Additional duties may include centrifuging specimens and preparing aliquots of samples according to the designated protocol required by various laboratory specialties. Students in this program also receive training in emergency procedures including CPR (Heartsaver), first aid, as well as HIPPA and blood-borne pathogen training. This program meets the Department of Health HIV/AIDS Domestic Violence and Prevention of Medical Errors education requirements. Upon completion of this program, the instructor will provide a certificate to the student verifying that these requirements have been met.
Upon completion of the program, students earn a post-secondary adult vocational (PSAV) certificate making them eligible for entry-level employment as phlebotomists. Although there is no state licensure required for phlebotomists, graduates with required amounts of work experience may obtain certification from national credentialing agencies. This program is currently seeking approval from the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Requirements for Admissions
- Must be 18 years old
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Satisfactory completion of PERT exam or equivalent college coursework. *(minimum PERT scores; reading-65, writing-70, math-60)
Program Goals and Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and behavior when interacting with patients and staff.
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal, ethical, and safety responsibilities in the health industry.
- Apply basic information technology, math, and science knowledge to procedures in the laboratory.
- Successfully perform venipuncture by vacuum collection devices and skin puncture.
- List essential information that should be on laboratory requisitions and specimen containers for identification.
- Possess sufficient eyesight to observe, manipulate, and evaluate instrumentation and procedures
- Possess sufficient hearing to communicate, manipulate, and evaluate instrumentation and procedures
- Possess sufficient physical ability to move from room to room and around patients
- Possess sufficient English verbal and written skills to communicate effectively
- Possess sufficient fine motor coordination to safely perform laboratory techniques
- Possess sufficient intellectual and emotional abilities to exercise independent judgment and discretion
Program Length, Format and Curriculum
1 full semester
Semester; MLT 0047 & MLT 0047L (at SF Perry Center Lab)
Semester; MLT 0048 (at clinical site Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for three weeks)
Applicants who receive a C.T.C. Certificate in Phlebotomy will successfully complete a total of 165 clock hours with coursework in the following classes
MLT 0047 – Phlebotomy (0 credit hours; 30 contact hours)
MLT 0047L – Phlebotomy Techniques Lab (0 credit hours; 30 contact hours)
MLT 0048 – Phlebotomy Clinical Rotation (5 credit hours; 105 contact hours)
Program Cost, Scholarships and Aid
All tuition and fees are estimated costs and subject to change without notice.
Program Costs Breakdown
Tuition for 5.5 Credit Hours
- $419.10 Florida Residents
- $1,598.85 Non-Florida Residents
Internship Fees: Vary
- $175.00 Textbooks (buying used at Barnes & Noble)
Program Cost Totals
- $594.10 Florida Residents
- $1773.85 Non-Florida Residents
There are many scholarships available for Santa Fe College students to apply to. Please visit the Scholarships webpage for more information and how to apply.
This program is not covered by Financial Aid. For more information regarding Financial Aid guidelines or to speak with a financial aid advisor, please visit the Financial Aid page for more information.
Program Effectiveness captures the quality of a program using qualitative data such as program completion and job placement.
Program completion rates
- 2019 – 99%
- 2020 – 98%
- 2021 – in process
- 2019 – 90%
- 2020 – 85%
Note: Students have the option of sitting for the National Board Exam ASCP. However, not all states including Florida, require this certification. The required internship consists of 105 contact hours and 100 successful blood draws. It usually takes about 3 weeks to complete.
2. Express Training Medical Services
Phlebotomy classes in Gainesville Florida are offered at Express Training Medical Services in Gainesville.
Express Training Medical Services in Gainesville is located at:
4001 W Newberry Rd Suite C3
Gainesville, FL 32607
Telephone: (352) 338-1193
Complete the Form Below To Receive Information About Phlebotomy Classes at Express Training Medical Services
Express Training Medical Services offers two program choices:
Program 1: If you just want a little practice with Phlebotomy you can take the 8 hour Phlebotomy Workshop so you to receive a certificate.
Program 2: If you want a Phlebotomy Certification, you’ll need the 80 hour Phlebotomy National Exam Prep Workshop.
This workshop is 80 hours in length and cost $1000. Tuition includes all supplies, training materials and exam fees. (Textbook not included).
YOU MUST BE AN EXPRESS TRAINING SERVICES STUDENT TO TAKE THEIR NHA EXAMS.
Note: Classes must have a minimum of 8 students and are subject to being canceled if this minimum is not met.
The following is required to take the classes:
- High School Diploma or GED. You must be a United States high school graduate or hold equivalent credentials (e.g. GED) to take this course.
Who Can Take This Course?
You must meet at least one of the following qualifications to register:
1. Have current medical licensure (RN, LPN, MD, Dentist, ARNP, etc).
2. Have current medical certification (CNA, CMA, HHA, Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Pharmacy Tech, EMT, etc).
3. Be currently enrolled in a school or training program where this will supplement your knowledge in the field (LPN/RN, Physician’s Assistant, CAN, etc).
4. Currently employed or have past experience in the medical field (hospital, doctor’s office, nursing home).
Live “sticks” will be performed in class. These sticks include venipunctures and capillary sticks. These will not be done during an externship but will be done on fellow students and yourself, in a very supervised setting. If you are not comfortable having someone draw your blood, please do not enroll in this class.
The following textbook is required and is not included in tuition:
Phlebotomy Essentials – 7th Edition
Author: Ruth E. McCall
Year Published: 2020
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer
3. Agape Medical Training Center
Phlebotomy classes Gainesville FL are offered at the Agape Medical Training Center in Gainesville.
Agape Medical Training Center in Gainesville is located at:
2153 SE Hawthorne Rd
Gainesville, FL 32641
Telephone: (352) 301-1453
Complete the Form Below To Receive Information About Phlebotomy Classes at Agape Medical Training Center.
The phlebotomy classes at Agape Medical Training Center lasts for 4 weeks at a cost of $715
This 4-week hybrid course will be both online and in class experience. The phlebotomy course is designed for students to understand and be knowledgeable to successfully pass the Certification exam and be competent to begin a phlebotomy Healthcare career in any setting.
- 4 week online course
- 3 week lab
The general requirements to attend phlebotomy classes Gainesville FL include the following:
- High school diploma or GED
- Over the age of 18
- Clean background check (no felonies)
- Negative hepatitis test
- Negative TB test
- Immunization records
Phlebotomy job duties include:
- Evaluating a patient and explaining procedures
- Verify patients identity
- Drawing blood from the patient
- Point of care testing
- Preparing blood or other specimens for testing
- Maintaining your area and equipment